Sometimes you can’t prevent it! Mold and mildew appears in most American bathrooms because the area is constantly warm and moist creating the perfect environment for bacteria and fungi growth. It’s extremely gross to see mold in a place that is supposed to be hygienic, and at the same time is a real danger for your health. Breathing mold spores is extremely risky for your respiratory tract because you may develop asthma.
The most mold-sensitive area in your bathroom is the silicone caulk. It attracts mold like a magnet due to the moisture it retains. Removing and replacing old caulk can be a time-consuming task and the best option is to safely remove mold from it. Routine cleaning will prevent mildew growth, but it won’t stop it. So, as soon as you see the first mold spore, you should act immediately in removing it because it will spread quickly.
First step to remove mold from shower caulk
Mix 2 cups of warm water with half a cup of bleach in a spray bottle. Spray the solution over the moldy shower caulk with a generous coating of bleach. Let it work for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the mildew after 15 minutes with a toothbrush or with a water-dampened sponge.
Second step is to select a green-cleaning agent: Vinegar, Lemon Juice, diluted Tea Tree Oil or diluted Hydrogen Peroxide:
Things You’ll Need:
- White vinegar, lemon juice, tea tree oil or hydrogen peroxide
- Toothbrush or spray bottle
- Dust mask
- Wet sponge
Let’s begin the cleaning process:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil with 1 cup of water, or mix one part hydrogen peroxide with two parts water.
- Soak an old toothbrush in white vinegar or lemon juice. Alternatively, fill a spray bottle with the solution of tea tree oil or hydrogen peroxide.
- Put on a dust mask to protect yourself from mold spores. Scrub the moldy caulking with the toothbrush or spray the solution onto the affected areas.
- Let the cleaning agent sit on the caulk for one hour. Rinse vinegar, lemon juice or the hydrogen peroxide solution off with a wet sponge. Do not rinse off tea tree oil solution.