Leather boots left in humid or damp conditions are prone to catch mold and mildew. They will start to lose their color and feel hard in texture. So, leaving them aside, without a proper cleaning, mold will ruin your boots completely. This is why you have to clean your leather boots as soon as you see mold or mildew signs on them.
Since throwing your favorite pair of boots away because they caught some mold is not a solution, you may want to face the situation and apply a proper green clean hack which will dissolve any mold spore.
So, let’s start the cleaning process and grab the needed supplies:
- soft cloth
- firm bristled brush
- ½ cup of white vinegar
- ½ cup of water
Steps To Clean Moldy Shoes:
- Just take the brush and dust away all the visible mold and mildew from the boots.
- Pour the vinegar and water in a bucket or small basin.
- Now, take the cloth, soak it in water, and wipe the boots gently, insisting the affected areas.
- Dry the boots using a towel or leave them in the sun.
Things you should consider when cleaning moldy leather shoes:
- Do this outside to avoid spreading mold spores through your house.
- This method will not work on suede shoes.
- Canvas shoes might need an extra wash either by hand or in your machine as they will hold the vinegar smell longer.
- The vinegar has a potent smell. You can overcome it by spraying an essential oil or tea tree/water mix afterwards.
- Wear a mask and rubber gloves to avoid inhaling mold spores.
Expand and read more ..