Remember when you were a little child and scared of basements? Well, in my 30’s nothing changed – every time I go in the basement I have the same childhood fear. Only that this time is even more terrifying because the darkness is accompanied by humidity which provide the ideal condition for mold development. You don’t even need special tools to discover black mold because your nose and eyes will tell you were the frightful problem is. Besides that black mold growing on concrete basement walls is quite stinky, it is also harmful for your health. Breathing mold spores can lead to serious respiratory tract problems such as asthma or lung diseases.

So, in order to prevent black basement mold invasion you have to clean it as soon as possible, and then to prevent it from reappearing. Since basements offer the perfect environment for this fungus to thrive, you have to correct this issue and not allowing mold to flourish.

How to safely clean basement mold

The most important thing is to use protection: wear a dust mask and rubber gloves, then prepare the following solution to remove that stinky black mold from concrete basement walls.

You Need:

  • 1 cup of Borax
  • 1 gallon of water

Mix the above ingredients and apply the solution on a rag and start scrubbing. Or, the best deal is to put the solution in a spray bottle and spray all over the basement walls and scrub them with a harsh brush. It’s more effective this way.

But, if you want to avoid the toxic fumes of borax, you can easily use Hydrogen Peroxide or Vinegar.

Hydrogen Peroxide: put 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in a spray bottle and spray it over the moldy area. Let it act for 10 minutes and then use a harsh brush to remove the black mold. Apply several times if needed.
Vinegar: this is the real black mold remover if you ask me. Just sprinkle undiluted white vinegar over the basement walls, let it sit for 10 minutes then scrub the mold away. For a better effect, repeat the procedure trice.

Prevent Black Basement Mold

The main issue with mold growth is humidity so, you have to remove it and not being a good host for mold. Installing a dehumidifier should do the trick. Dehumidifiers are relatively simple. If you plug them in and leave them alone, they should do their jobs correctly. Start your dehumidifier on its lowest setting and turn it up as needed.

--- advertisements ---

--- advertisements ---