Sleeping on feathers! Priceless! The smooth and fluffy texture of feather pillows makes you sleep like an angel, and you won’t end with a neck pain the next day. But the biggest disadvantage of feather pillows is that they are hard to clean. They need special care tips, otherwise you may risk ruining the smooth texture of feathers.
Over time, dead skin cells and body oil will get deep into the pillow, leaving a nasty and pungent scent, that’s why you should wash them every six months.
The great news when it comes to cleaning fluffy bedding, such as feather or down pillows and duvets, is that you can throw them in the washer, and apply some special washing tips to restore the feather stuffing.
How to do that? Well, follow the below steps to get rid of any nasty sweat smell out of your feather pillows and duvets.
You Will Need:
- front-load washing machine
- all-natural liquid laundry detergent
- hedgehog dryer balls
Steps To Follow:
- First, put the pillows in the washing machine.
- Add the liquid laundry detergent – it’s important to use a natural one not to ruin the feather stuffing. I’m using this homemade laundry cleaner recipe.
- Start on the delicate or gentle washing cycle, and let the rinse cycle run twice to remove all laundry scum.
- Now, remove the pillows out of the washer, and put them in the dryer.
- To keep the fluffy texture of feathers and evenly dispersed, throw 2 hedgehog dryer balls in the washer. You can find them on Amazon.
- Pay attention at the dryer to inhibit overheating, and remove them when they are well-dried.
Tip: after I removed the pillows out of the dryer, I let them to dry out in the sun for the rest of the day.